Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Comfort Me With Shakshuka, For I Am Sick of This Cold

I'm not sure I would make it through the winter without the help of one of my favorite comfort foods: SHAKSHUKA. Shakshuka is a popular Israeli egg dish that originated in North Africa. It consists of poached eggs in a perfectly spiced sizzling tomato stew served and eaten straight from the pan . A place to get it is the very affordable Hummus Place (now 4 locations) in Manhattan. You can also add the spongy, salty haloumi cheese to make the dish even more hearty. It is served with fluffy regular or whole wheat pita.


I can't mention Hummus Place without mentioning my other absolute favorites like Hummus Masabacha made with whole chickpeas served warm (add an hard-boiled egg and it's perfect!)

...and Kadaif dessert which is so divine that I almost cried the first time I had it. Dry kadaif, vanilla infused ricotta, shredded halva drizzled with honey date sauce. I usually have this with warm fresh mint tea.

The quintessential comfort meal to ward off the biting-cold of winter...

Hummus Place
71 7th Ave South
New York, NY

(212) 924-2022

No comments: